Friday, May 29, 2009

Sunrise


When the alarm clock rings at 5:45am it means the best part of the day is about to begin. I eagerly jump out of bed, get my walking shoes on, and try to beat the first sunrays of the day to the prairie trailhead.

Just two blocks out of town, a paved 5 mile trail leads down through cooleys and back up again to the green prairieland for a spectacular view.

Glacier National Park is to the left, Canada and the Sweet Grass Hills are to the right, and straight ahead is the sign of a new era, a wind farm with 250 turbines turning lazily in the wind. Everything is surrounded by thousands of acres of nowhere, the open prairie- somewhere in the middle of Toole County, Montana.

The view fills me up to the very core.

The windmills remind me each morning that progress unfolds in the most unexpected places. I wonder where my progress today will be...

2 comments:

  1. Late evening, just before sunset, is my favorite time of day, at least in the summer. The shadows are long and the grass seems greener, the flowers more vibrant and the Utah desert seems more lush and green. During those few moments , if I'm outside, everything in the yard seems to be still and quiet as if they are saying goodnight and getting tucked into bed. I know what you mean about filling you up...that does it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful picture! Those windmills are an amazing site and quite an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete